Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - Rachel Cohn and David Levithan


 Title : Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Author : Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Page :208
First Published : 2006

Publisher : Random House Publishing 









“Why do we even bother? Why do we make ourselves so open to such easy damage? Is it all loneliness? Is it all fear? Or is it just to experience those narcotic moments of belonging with someone else?”


I freakin love this book. I read this book because I wanted to learn to write in multi first person point of view and Google suggested this book for me. I didn’t expect that I would love the story. Really, I love Nick and I’m willing to pay a lot of money to have that kind of guy who’s very romantic and writes me song and makes playlist for me. Just like what Norah say : 
“I would give body parts to have a guy write something like that for me. My kidney? Oh, both of them.” :)

Everything starts when Nick, a queercore band bassist, meets Norah, a DJ and a private school student, in a chaotic punk club and asks her to be his five minute girlfriend because Nick wants to avoid his ex-girlfriend, Tris. Norah turns out to be Tris’ school friend and she has known that cute romantic Nick all along from Tris. Both Nick and Norah are trying to move on from a bad break up with their own exes. From just a simple kiss, they move into a one night journey to  move on and discover new love in each other presence.



What I love the most from this book is the whole story of this book happened in only one night. Started at midnight and ended at six or seven in the morning. Kewl right how only several hours can turned into a sweet novel like this? This book is narrated from two first point of views, Nick and Norah took turn to narrate their story in every chapter. There was some repetition, what Norah already told us, Nick told us again in the next chapter. Some of them are okay since it’s fun to know how Nick and Norah reacted in every situation and they also had quite different perspective in some things. But some of them was just boring and I think it will be better if the writers don’t repeat every scene just so the readers know every situation from both heads. I think it’s always okay to leave something for a mistery. But of course it’s just a matter of personal taste.

It’s just I couldn’t really find differences in Nick and Norah’s voices. They both love saying fucking this fucking that, their jokes also really synchronized which makes it  more difficult to distinguish their voices. But I guess Nick was a little more romantic than Norah, he was more expressive in saying romantic things. However I didn’t really pay attention to this flaw since the story was flowing really well. And I tooootally in love with Nick. It’s really hard to read this book without falling in love to Nick. He’s romantic, gentle and he doesn’t afraid of commitments. He’s into music, he treats ladies well, what else can I ask from you, Nick?

I really enjoy reading this book and I recommend you to read this book too if you want to read something fresh and young and in the right amount of romance. This book is not cheesy or too sweet and also contains a lot of nice words and quotes. I also learn a lot writing technique from this book. Love this. four of five stars!

Ah, before this review ends, this is one of my favorite phrase from this book.

I always think of each night as a song. Or each moment as a song. But now I'm seeing we don't live in a single song. We move from song to song, from lyric to lyric, from chord to chord. There is no ending here. It's an infinite playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment